Although tomatoes are available year round, I love this time of the year when you see so many varieties available and all bursting with color! I have two bowls on my kitchen counter – one is for bananas (there’s always at least 7-8 at any given moment!) and the other is filled with small tomatoes.
5 Health Benefits of Tomatoes:
- Tomatoes contain lycopene, an antioxidant which has been linked to many health benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease and cancer.
- A single portion of tomatoes provide about 40% of the daily vitamin C requirement. They also are a great source in providing potassium, folate and vitamin K.
- Eating tomatoes on a regular basis helps to protect the heart. It has been proven to be effective in decreasing the levels of LDL cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood.
- Tomatoes have fiber and protein which is good for digestion
- It can help to manage diabetes as well.
I love using tomatoes as a main ingredient in salads. They make colorful and yummy summer salads!
Here are a Few Salads to Try:
- Artichoke Hearts Salad
- Flavorful Asparagus Salad
- Colorful Tomato and Cucumber Salad
- Different colors of cherry tomatoes, bocconcini or fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar
There are a host of amazing healthy benefits by eating tomatoes. I just love them because they taste good and are so fresh. It’s also a great afternoon snack and is guilt free! Very sweet…nature’s candy!
I’d love to hear from you!
What do you add tomatoes to?