When the weather starts changing and I feel the dampness in the air, it’s time to make soup!
So many times I’ve been ready to get in comfy clothes and start to cook only to discover that I’m missing some key ingredients. I now keep staples on hand so I’m always ready.
Here’s a list of what I keep on hand:
- Cans of San Marzano whole tomatoes. I even use these in recipes that call for crushed or diced tomatoes – so flavorful and easy to use!
- I like to keep a box of organic vegetable cubes that you just add boiling water to. There are many that have no MSG and less sodium. I like that I can even use 1/2 a cube and re-wrap it for next time.
- Chickpeas, lentils, lima beans, kidney beans, cannellini beans, navy beans (pick your favorites). I stock 2 of each (great for salads too!). If you use dried beans, some varieties have to be soaked overnight first.
- Grains like pearl barley and bulgar
- Pasta and rice
- Dried herbs
Have you checked out any of my soup recipes? One of my favorite soups to make is chicken soup. You can never go wrong by adding too many of your favorite veggies! Here’s what I put in my chicken soup:
- Chicken bones (removed after soup is ready!)
- Whole onion (removed after soup is ready!)
- Whole green pepper (removed after soup is ready!)
- Fresh dill
What is your favorite soup to make?
Do you have any favorite ingredients to put into your chicken soup?
I’d love for you to share in the comments below!