- 2 -3 pita breads
- 1 pint of cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 English cucumber, cut into cubes
- 4 radishes, diced
- 2 green onions, cut into small round slices
- 2 full romaine lettuces, torn into bite sized pieces
- Handful of fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- Handful of fresh flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- Juice of two lemons
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. za’atar or combination of other Middle Eastern spice blends – sumac, allspice, cinnamon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Zest of 1 lemon
Preheat oven to 375° and set a rack in the middle of the oven.
Cut the pita breads into bite-sized pieces using a kitchen shear and place in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake on the middle shelf for about 10 minutes, until the pita is crisp. Set aside and let cool. You can make this advance and store it.
In a large salad bowl combine the tomatoes, red pepper, cucumber, radishes, green onions, romaine and herbs. Set aside.
Whisk together the fresh lemon juice, olive oil, spices and the salt and pepper.
When ready to serve, assemble the salad. Add the toasted pita and lemon zest to the bowl. Add the desired amount of the dressing and toss until mixed.