I truly believe that we learn something new everyday. Last week I learned that my son Jarred likes bean salad. Has he ever bothered to ask me to make him any? Not once, although he has told me how expensive it is to buy at the bakery/deli stores who carry takeout foods.
Friday night I made a bean salad to show him how easy it is and how spices make all the difference. There’s a store not too far from where I live that only sells spices. Spice Station in NDG is not only fabulous, but the friendliest people work there! I used a blend called Greco Power in my 3 Bean Salad, but if you’re not from Montreal and can’t get to the store, look at the recipe for the list of dried herbs that are used in their blend:)
This is a great salad that’s full of protein and fiber and an easy dish to make if you have extra or unexpected company for dinner!
I’d love to hear from you!
Please share your favorite tips on what you put in your favorite bean salad in the comments below:)
3 Bean Salad
• 1 19 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
• 1 19 oz. can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 19 oz. can white kidney beans (cannellini beans), rinsed and drained
• 2 – 3 stalks of celery, diced
• 2 tbs. apple cider vinegar
• 3 tbs. olive oil
• 1 tsp. Dijon or grainy mustard
• 1 tbs. dried herbs (mix of dried oregano, chives, thyme, onion, garlic, salt and pepper)
Put all the beans and chopped celery in a medium serving bowl and mix well.
In a small bowl whisk together the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, mustard and dried herbs. Pour over the bean mixture and toss well to combine.
Refrigerate before serving.